The Worshipful Company of Firefighters will hold its annual lecture on March 25th. The guest speaker is Sir Ken Knight. The title of his talk is, “The Impact of the Grenfell Tower Fire on Building Safety”.
Following the fire at the 24 storey Grenfell Tower on 14 June 2017, in which 72 people tragically lost their lives, the government appointed Sir Ken Knight as the Chair of the Independent Expert Advisory Panel. The role of the Expert Panel, which is ongoing, is to recommend what actions are necessary to ensure people are safe in high rise residential flats.
Sir Ken’s online presentation will piece together the jigsaw of what has happened since the fire and document proposals for the future, including:
- Matters arising from the fire itself
- Dame Judith Hackett’s independent report
- The Judge-led Public Inquiry
- The Government’s response including:
- Proposal for a Building Safety Regulator
- Proposal for a Construction Products Regulator
- The Building Safety Bill
- The Fire Safety Bill
Sir Ken is keen to use his presentation to set the scene on current and future practices, but he will encourage participants to engage in questions and discussion regarding the very challenging issues that have arisen as a result of the fire.
The presentation will be on the Zoom platform. To secure your place please use the registration method in the sidebar which is appropriate for you.
About the presenter
Sir Ken Knight’s fire service career, which includes the post of Commissioner of the London Fire Brigade, spanned over 40 years, before he was appointed as the Government’s Chief Fire and Rescue Adviser from 2007-2013. Sir Ken is a Past Master of the Worshipful Company of Firefighters.
Sir Ken has been responsible for a number of Government reports at home including:
- Widespread flooding response
- The Lakanal House Fire
- Effectiveness and efficiencies of the fire and rescue service
- Electronic balloting for industrial action
Whilst overseas he has completed reviews in, Ireland, Bermuda, Northern Iraq and Zimbabwe.
Who should attend?
Anyone with an interest in Fire and Building Safety, such as:
- Residential Estate Managers
- Fire Protection Engineers
- Fire Safety Officers
- Fire Industry Professionals
- Building Control Officers
- Manufacturers of building products
- Standards and testing bodies
- Government and Local Government Officials
- Custodians of Public and Heritage buildings
The presentation will be on Zoom.
Livery – Members: Free – Membership will be confirmed by the Blue Book or the Clerk.
Non Livery Members: £20
This event is organised and promoted by the Worshipful Company of Firefighters who will donate all the proceeds to its Charitable Trust (Registered No. 1182241), in fulfilment of their registered aims.