Delegates to the ‘Who was found to be naked when the tide went out?’ Livery Charity Conference hosted by the Chartered Accountants’ Company on 17th May 2021 were asked to indicate if they might be interested in an informal network for Charity Chairs. The response was positive and the idea evolved. The inaugural meeting of the Livery Charity Chairs Group (LCCG) was held on 14th June 2021. Twenty-three Charity Chairs attended and discussed how a group might operate and what topics they would most wish it to cover. LCCG now has over 80 members from more than 70 Livery Companies and Guilds, and in December 2022 launched the Livery Food Initiative.
Below are the current arrangements under which the group is operating.
The purpose of LCCG is to enable Livery Charity Chairs to share their ideas and experiences and learn from each other in an ongoing informal network.
Each quarterly meeting will have a theme. The initial format proposed for each hour-long meetings is to start with brief presentations from two members, then move into discussions in smaller breakout rooms followed by a final plenary session.
The themes for each meeting will be decided in consultation with members but may well be drawn from the following list:
a. Strategy and Governance
- Reviewing/agreeing strategy
- Trustee appointment/induction/appraisal/development
- Charity Commission Guidance
- Current topics – such as safeguarding and EDI
- Governance arrangements and possible conflicts of interest
- Budgets and cash flows
- Investment arrangements
- Fundraising and processing donor income
- Legacy initiatives
c. Grant making and pro bono support
- Considerations around ongoing grant beneficiaries
- Considerations around one-off applications including giving to non-charities
- Providing pro bono support
- Measuring the impact of any grants
- Annual reports and accounts
- Use of social media
- Promoting your achievements
The longer annual conference will cover a wider range of topics. It is also planned to pilot informal drop-in sessions on Zoom to see if LCCG members find them of value.
Workshop 6th March 2023
Slides from Hot Topic #6
Conference 12th June 2023
Slides from the Conference
Workshop 11th September 2023
Hot Topic #7 announced
Workshop 5th December 2022
Slides from Hot Topic #5
Workshop 12th September 2022
Slides from Hot Topic #4
Top ten tips
The Livery Charity Chairs Group held its first annual conference at Ironmongers’ Hall on 6th June 2022. Nearly 70 attended despite a full-on tube strike. The Conference slides and also a synopsi are available to those who were thwarted from attending by the lack of transport.
While every delegate benefitted from the Conference in different ways, five over-arching themes emerged during the afternoon:
- In seeking to improve how we do anything, the most important point is to have made a start on that particular journey.
- Being proportionate is key; we are all different and need to do what is appropriate for us.
- Using Zoom for most of the LCCG events means we are also doing our bit for climate change.
- Our concept of ‘sharing and learning’ is already bringing obvious benefits.
- Last, but not least, it was lovely to have an opportunity to meet everyone face-to-face.
The LCCG Steering Committee (Peter Alvey, Steve Graham, Julia Sibley and Hilary Lindsay) would like to thank all who took part in the event as speakers or delegates, very much look forward to welcoming delegates to their 2023 Annual Conference and to seeing LCCG members at their various events over the next twelve months. For further information about LCCG or its activities please contact Hilary Lindsay.
Meeting of March 7th 2022
The following slides were presented at the meeting.