This all day course is intended for senior or upper wardens due to take the chair over the coming 12 months. Their spouses, partners and consorts are also very welcome to attend.
Other Wardens and Court Assistants may also register (with spouses if they wish), but the preferred time for them to do so is during the year immediately prior to their installation.
Experience has shown that previous attendance at a City Briefing (within the past five years) is very helpful before coming on this course. New Clerks are also welcome.
To provide Liverymen approaching the chair a sound basic understanding of:
- How the City Corporation operates,
- the roles of Lord Mayor, Court of Aldermen and Court of Common Council,
- the interdependence and interrelationships between the Mayoralty, the Court of Aldermen and Common Council,
- the relationship and significance of the Livery with the City Corporation, and
- a brief introduction to the business workings of City and its financial services industry, and on being a Master. There is an additional session for Masters’ Consorts.
Click to see map
Programme and timings
09.30 – Welcome and objective setting – the basics, Chair of the Livery Committee
09.40 -The role and work of the Policy Chairman, Chris Hayward, Policy Chairman, City of London Corporation
10.00 – The role and work of the City of London Police, TBC
10.20 – The City of London Corporation, Greg Moore, Assistant Town Clerk, City of London Corporation
10.40 – Refreshments
11.00 – Education and Skills, TBC
11.20 – Reflections on a Shrieval year, Sheriff Alison Gowman
11.40 – On being a Master? Q&A panel session, Philip Woodhouse, Chair of the Livery Committee and Past Master Grocer, Julia Sibley, Deputy Chair of the Livery Committee and Past Master Innholder
12.10 – The art of speechwriting, Alex MacDonald, Senior Speechwriter, Mansion House
12.30 – Concluding remarks, Chair of the Livery Committee
12.45 – Lunch
Cancellation and rearrangement
The full cost of the course is refundable providing 10 days notice is given. If you wish to cancel your place please contact the Course Administrator.